(I am still working on the next general upload to this site, and won't put it on-line until I can do so as a group. However, the Lorine Niedecker 100th Birthday Edition of "Paean To Place" is a good exception to make. Please check it out, and join the celebration. -KY)
This site includes visual poetry and other work presented in whole or in part in graphics files. These are indicated by an asterisk (*) after the title, except where there is a graphic/non-graphic option. As with any literary site, make sure that your proportional and fixed font settings have been adjusted separately, and not both left on proportional as a default. There is some redundancy in the contents of this page and some of the semi-autonomous sections: some of the poetry in the author, genre, and geographical pages can be accessed from this index or from inside the pages. However, most of the work, including commentary and criticism, may only be accessed from the pages themselves. The site includes a number of complete books, many of them out of print, some published here for the first time. Since the site is an anthology rather than a zine, special emphasis is placed on presenting writers as fully as possible, by whatever means available. Complete books are indicated by a set of brackets, , after the title. A plus (+) indicates part of a book that does or will appear complete. If you'd like to look at shorter works at the moment, these may not suit you, and you'll find plenty of shorter entries at this site. If you're not in a hurry, hey, sit back with a good book.
- Poems from A Second Before It Bursts
Avelino de Araujo
- Kaldron Survey *
- poems from The Unexpected
- poems from Shadow Play
- A concise collection of Dances, Events, Puzzles edited by Márton Koppány.
- from Anima/l Wo/man and Other Spirits
-The Man Who Looked Into Coltrane's Horn
-Poet's brains prove to be useful!
- beginning of Kaldron Survey
- poems from American Sonnets
Doris Cross *
- Kaldron Survey
- Staves for the Hidden Sounds of Things *
- Ayvu Membyre - Hijo de aquel verbo - Offspring of the Distant Word 
Susy Delgado writes in Guaraní, the Native American language of Paraguay, and more or less simultaneously works Spanish versions of them. Susan Smith Nash translates them into English. We present one of her books complete in the three languages.
Klaus Peter Dencker
- beginning of Kaldron Survey *
- poems from QU AT RA IN
- Burrowing In, Digging Out 
- See also The Prose Tattoo in Group Efforts.
- Air The Trees 
- - Kaldron Survey *
Evald Flisar - "Safari," from Tales of Wandering
- poems from The Excesses The Caprices
John Ezra Fowler
- Appreciations and Observations A Collection of 8 Sets of Poems, Cyber and Lexical.
Relocated to this site from Grist On-Line.
william l. fox
- 2 sequences from silence & license
- from One Looks At One
Keiko Matsui Gibson
- How Do You Like America & Other Poems 
- Visual Poems *
from the 6th Biennial, Mexico City
- MATHEMAKU 6 -12 *
- poems from Darien
- openings from Turtle Bones - Book Art *
- visual poems from Poems 1972 - 1977 *
- from Xibalba Arcane to the brave fighters in Chiapas
- Ghostlight *
- from How The West Was One
- Three Visual Poems *
- Selected Openings of Pictographs *
Myung Mi Kim
- The Bounty
- Three Sections from Mirage
- More Joy * [Java Required]
- selected Visual poems, 1917 - 1921 *
- GEMATRIA 27 with Jerome Rothenberg
Joel Lipman from the 6th Biennial, Mexico City
- Kaldron Survey
- Kaldron Survey
- Selections from Ghost Tantras.
- An Anthology of the Poetry of Michael McClure as selected by the Author
Contains poems from nearly all McClure's books, and an excerpt from his play, The Beard
For more, go to Michael McClure Home Page
- Two Poems.
- Vortex Under Construction *
from the 6th Biennial, Mexico City
- 5 Poems
- "Clichetes" *
- from Tree Climbing
- 5 pages of little people, scrolled *
- Bloom / Blood 
- 100th Birthday Edition of Paean To Place
- 2 segments of On The Other Hand
- Illuminations *
- Poems - NOT BE ESSENCE THAT CANNOT BE  & selections from I Am the Babe of Joseph Stalin's Daughter
- "Part 3: Fire Clay" from The Joe 82 Creation Poems
- for more, go to the Rochelle Owens Home Page
- Kaldron Survey. *
Carl Lynden Peters
- Seven Poems from PM AD
- AFTER HOURS: 10 Jazz Poems
- Neal Cassady and other poems
- five poems
- Hygieia, of Perspective
- 10 poems from GeoFrictions
- Cities (Alashka, Part 1) with Nathaniel Tarn +
- Road In (Alashka, Part 2) with Nathaniel Tarn +
- White/Out (Alashka, Part 3) with Nathaniel Tarn +
- The Forest (Alashka, Part 4) with Nathaniel Tarn +
- City of the Long Spring from ORPHYDICE
- Chameleon's Cadmium (with graphics) 
- Chameleon's Cadmium (without graphics) 
- from Crystals
- Vows and Entertainment
- A Selection of Poems
- 4 poems from The New Tenants
- While the Thunder Lasted I Felt Like God
- Kaldron Survey
- Eight Poems
- Slow Song for Mark Rothko and Inside Out
- Cities (Alashka, Part 1) with Janet Rodney +
- Road In (Alashka, Part 2) with Janet Rodney +
- White/Out (Alashka, Part 3) with Janet Rodney +
- The Forest (Alashka, Part 4) with Janet Rodney +
- The Great Odor of Summer
- Wave Run
- Consideracón de la rosa
(with English translation by Paddy Bushe).
- Residence in the High Desert
- 4 Poems
- Poems from Chopped Liver
- Nothing Has Changed 
- Two Poems from Fields
- visual poems from Nothing Limits *
- Selections from The Prose Tattoo Selected Scores of The Four Horsemen Performance Group Scores for performance pieces from one of the best ensembles ever. Some are presented simply as examples of scoring techniques. Some make visual poems in their own right.
- An Exchange of Graphics between Reid Wood and Karl Young. Samples from a long-term correspondence art project that has evolved into cyberspace.
- A Telephone Book Sampler A Sampling of poetry from three issues of Telephone Book Magazine, edited by Maureen Owen.
On-Line Home of North America's longest running visual poetry magazine's, hosted by Light and Dust.
Extensive page attempting to pull together and organize poetry, criticism, editorial efforts and other things in which poets engage themselves.
Criticism from 1975 Margins Symposium on Rochelle Owens by Jane Augustine, George Economou, Jackson Mac Low, Toby Olson;
and Further Considerations by Susan Smith Nash, Maureen Owen, Rochelle Ratner, and Barry Silesky.
Poems and essays by Michael McClure
Essays and reviews from 1975 Margins Symposium by John Jacob, Robert Creeley, Anne Waldman, Francis Crick, Stan Brakhage, and Charles Olson
With further comment by Steven Watson, Lee Bartlett, Gregory Stephenson, Jake Berry, Jack Foley, Robert Peters, and Jerome Rothenberg.
and much more on its way!
Growing selection of Nichol's poetry, with essays on Nichol's work.
d.a.levy home page
Growing selection of levy's work - visual poetry, book art, paintings, lexical poetry. Includes facsimiles and previously unpublished work.
Meeting place for graffiti art and visual poetry,
with samples and extensive links.
Growing collection of poetry, film, theater, and other art forms from one of the major movements in visual poetry. Includes work by Isidore Isou, Alain Satié, Catherine James, Roland Sabatier, Frédérique Devaux, Michel Amarger, David W. Seaman, Virginie Caraven, Gabriel Pomerand, Woodie Roehmer, and others.
An Anthology of Paraguayan Women Writers
Work by 25 women from Paraguay, translated into English from Spanish and Guaraní by Susan Smith Nash. Presents a broad crosssection of outlooks and formal approaches.
Márton Koppány's site dedicated to (meta)communication across borders - linguistic, cultural, artistic, and conceptual -- starting with Fluxus, Minimalism, visual and found poetry. Presented in Hungarian and English.
A Koppány Márton által alapított intézet célja a nyelvi, kulturális és fogalmi határokon átívelő (meta)kommunikáció. Kezdetnek: Fluxus, minimalizmus, vizuális költészet, talált versek. Magyar és angol szövegváltozatok.
To start with, poems by Mária Hegedús, Tibor Papp, Alpár Bujdosó, Gabor Toth, Bíró József, Szombathy Balint, and Paul Nagy.
Festival of Experimental Art and Literature, Mexico City, November, 1998. These events, directed by César Espinosa, have not always managed to come about quite on the two year schedule, but have all shown good work, cooperation, and have lived up to the name "festival" in many ways.
The International Shadows Project is an ongoing grass roots condemnation of nuclear weapons and the use of nuclear energy through an alliance of arts, particularly mail art and performance. As such it is also an ongoing celebration of life in the face of unmitigated evil, as well as an extensive documentation, with copious examples, of mail and performance art.
La Frontera żDe Quién?
Anthologies of Mexican and Chicano poetry, with essays on poetry from both sides of the fortified and arbitrarily drawn border. Presented bilingually.
David T. Doris
- Zen Vaudeville
Extended meditation on Zen and Fluxus, with particular emphasis on performance pieces and short poems. Commentary on cast of characters including John Cage, George Brecht, Ken Friedman, Dick Higgins, George Maciunas, Yoko Ono, and others.
Zen-kabaré Fordította: Koppány Márton. (Hungarian translation by Márton Koppány)
- from ZAUM: The Transrational Poetry of Russian Futurism
"Kruchonykh in Tifflis." Detailed study of Kruchonykh's work between 1917 and 1921.
- A Report on Transfursim
Essay on late Soviet Samizdat artists continuing in the Futurist and Zaum line. Special emphasis on Ry Nikonova, Sergei Segei, and Boris Konstriktor.
- Introduction and Conclusion to Poetics and Visuality
Frame for Menezes' most important critical work. Questions many assumptions regarding visual poetry, particularly in Latin America.
- Beyond the Threshold of the Letter
Concluding chapter from Barilli's Voyage to the End of the Word, a classic study of Italian Avant-Garde poetry of the 70s and 80s. Includes brief survey of efforts by Italian poets.
This short article lies at the center of Minarelli's multimedia poetry. Multimedia is, in this context, a sort of familiar shorthand for what you'll find discussed here.
- Art and People: Latin American Art in Our Time. 
This book, published here for the first time, is probably Padin's most important critical work, and perhaps the most comprehensive overview of new art forms in Latin America written to date.
- Aspiration to Freedom
Memorial to the Argentine polymath artist, Edgardo Antonio Vigo.
Texto Espańol a Postypographika.
Klaus Peter Dencker
- From Concrete To Visual Poetry, With A Glimpse Into The Electronic Future
Landmark thoeretical essay providing one approach to the essential distinction between Concrete and Visual Poetry.
- The Stranger at the Door
Beginning with commentary on poems by George Brecht published in some/thing magazine, Antin speculates on the nature of contemporary poetry.
- "MNMLST POETRY"
As usual, Bob Grumman's attention to detail remains unsurpassed. Although written as a popular introduction to one of the many directions in contemporary visual poetry, this essay is worth reading by anyone sincerely interested in literary art as a whole.
- Revolutionary Rexroth; Poet of East West Wisdom 
This book remains the major study of the poetry of Kenneth Rexroth in the contexts of biography and of philosophical and religious traditions. This web edition includes extensive revisions and aditions to the now out-of-print editions.
Owen F. Smith
- Pre-Fluxus Conceptual Developments and Generative Influences - Chapter 1 of Smith's Fluxus: The History of an Attitude.
- Seeing Power 
The first part of this book consists of an extended meditation on key figures in European and Euro-American art - including an on-going examination of critical methodology. The second half offers critiques of individual works by contemporary American poets.
- From Book To Anti-Book
Essay on book art and its social and political underpinnings and implications, with particular focus on book art in Mexico.
- Notation and the Art of Reading.
Young's most important essay, discussing the interrelation of book production and poetry in several cultures as it related to poetry in the U.S. in the early 80s.
Jelölési rendszerek - és az olvasás művészete Fordította: Koppány Márton. (Hungarian translation by Márton Koppány)
Texto Espańol; traduccion: César Espinosa.
- Two Representative Works of the last Decade; A Working Present for Jackson Mac Low on His 75th Birthday
Study of Mac Low's Open Secrets CD and Words nd Ends from Ez, in context of his opus.
- The Visual Poetry of bpNichol; a Brief Sketch.
Overview, with copious examples.
- The Last Pages of Codex Boturini
Essay on one of the surviving pre-Columbian Mexican manuscripts, with facsimile and translations. [Published in Tezcatlipoca on-line magazine, and linked from this site].
- Animal and Human Stages in the Aztec Continuum of life
Study of Pre-Clombian Mexican World View as seen through fluid metamorphic progressions. Includes reproductions of and commentary on Codex Borbonicus. [Published in Tezcatlipoca magazine.]
- Introduction to the English Language Edition of Evald Flisar's Tales of Wandering
- A Multi-Voiced Memorial for Meridel Le Sueur
Commentery by Karl Young, Linda Montano, Pauline Oliveros, Joe Napora, and Barbara Mor.
- Two Approaches to John Taggart's Slow Song for Mark Rothko and Inside Out: essays by Rochelle Ratner and Karl Young from the John Taggart issue of Paper Air magazine.
- A Review of Maureen Owen's Imaginary Income