<eyebeam><blast> images as ecriture

Jordan Crandall wrote:

>Yukiko: Could you explain more about this new state of images -- this
>change in the moving image, this image refigured through patterns of
>mobility? And particularly, in terms of technology's relation to the
>body as perceived in Japan.

Jordan, thanks for your questions. Sorry I couldn't reply by today, but
maybe I could explain a bit.

One example of the new state of image, or "images as ecriture" could be
found in a recent film "Love&Pop" directed by Hideaki Anno, made by only
using DV (digital video camera). The mobility of DV made 'machinic' view
(nor subject or object) possible by being put on the toy train to move
around or being worn by the girl to show the blurred images, etc. Or
another example; most of school girls bring diaries with huge amount of
'Print Club'(pri-kura) small photo stickers shot with friends, which can
be understood as movable communication tools. The collection of images
is not done by them as subject, and the accumulating images could be
regarded as 'memory device.' It means that their purpose is not
collecting or possessing of the images, but to have the possibility of
exchanging or showing images each other. At above cases, the content or
resolution, form of the image is not important. Here I would like to
suggest about the appearance of new kind of 'memory' which can be
stocked, movable and could be interrelated each other as an interface or
membrane. And at the same time, we are  facing the change of the notion
of 'memory'...

Marina Grzinic wrote:
> instant technology is functioning in Japan more in a way of masking,
>recoding, transcoding the body than as a way of communication and
>connection. It is a process that allows the user to completely hide
>his or her physical body.    Layers of images are very suitable for
>deepining the hierarchical facades of the Japanese society.

Marina, thank you very much for  your opinion which was stimulating for
me. But I think instant technology in Japan(such as 'Pri-kura')
especially popular in young generation functions rather as
communication, connecting tools than masking, recoding or transcoding
the body, as what I have written above.

Yukiko Shikata
yshikata@crpg.canon.co.jp

P.S.
Pokemon is originally game soft for Nintendo 'game-boy' and children
exchange various pocket monsters by connecting terminals directly. It
functions also as the new state of images, working as communication tool
or memory device such as DV or Puri-kura stickers.