Re: <eyebeam><blast> clues on translocal territories

Dear Andreas,

In interactive works, the qualities of inter-authorship take on
different potential levels in relation to the "authoring" of the system
by the initial author/programmer. There is a delicate balance to be
addressed in computer-mediated inter-authorship, related to that which
the initial author embues in the system, in terms of content, and that
which the user contributes in terms of their input. Perry Hoberman
states "In interactive art, we can find two seemingly opposite
tendencies in the approaches to interaction: on the one hand a sharing
(or even an abdication) of responsibility (or intentionality) on the
part of the author; and on the other, a remarkable extension of the
author's domain, an unprecedented attempt to control his/her audience
and their response on every level." (Leopoldseder, 1996)

I do not think that one is necessarily manipulating the viewer in a
negative way ('behaviour engineering') when a work elicits an emotive
response, be it humor, in the work of Perry Hoberman (in a work like
barcode hotel) or melancholy as in some of my work. The work "The World
Generator / The Engine of Desire" empowers the viewer in a way few other
interactive works do, enabling the creation of complex virtual worlds in
real time. It does this in an environment which is emergent but often
has a particular mood based on the sound that one can "place" in the
environment. The sound mix is always emergent but constructed out of the
same set of sound objects.

In every interactive work there is a balance between content, aspects of
interactivity and the constraints of the system. I see this emotive
aspect (getting at a particular state of consciousness) as a positive
feature of the work not some kind of 'behaviour engineering.' You make
it sould like I am using electric shock to promote some kind of control
stimulus...

Are you suggesting that any interactive work that is emotive is
controlling in a negative way? Your post sure reads like that when you
say "The dividing line between art and
>manipulation seems to disapppear in the 'reframing of consciousness'
>that Bill Seaman describes as being key to his own work."

A "blues" musician can be said to be trying to explore a particular
state of consciousness - again - this is not performing some kind of
negative 'behaviour engineering.'

I would say that "The World Generator / The Engine of Desire" is a work
"deeply engaged with historical currents and contexts, [and] aim(s) to
empower viewers with perceptual tools, interpretive formats, and
strategic avenues of action." as Jordan has suggests... within an
emotive environment.

Sincerely,
Bill Seaman

(Leopoldseder, 1996)
LEOPOLDSEDER, L AND SCH¨OPF (1996) Prix Ars Electronica 96: Free Choice
or
Control by Perry Hoberman.   New York: SpringerVerlag  p. 53

From: Bill Seaman
117 N. BEAUMONT AVE. CATONSVILLE, MARYLAND 21228, USA
HOME FAX 410 744 7428
Tel. 410 744 7422

Associate Professor and Director of Imaging and Digital Arts
Department of Visual Arts
University of Maryland
Baltimore County
Department of Visual Arts
5401 Wilkens Ave.
Baltimore, MD21228-5398  USA
WORK PHONE 410 455 2150   OR   410 455 2151
School Fax    410 455 1070
seaman@umbc.edu

http://caiiamind.nsad.newport.ac.uk
http://research.umbc.edu/~seaman/