Re: <eyebeam><blast> territory

There are several issues I'd like to discuss and hopefully hear the most
unexpected comments about:

1) One of the main concerns right now in my research on digital space is
the difference between public and private digital space --in my reading
they are two different topographies.

2) Not unrelated to 1), the impact that incipient privatisation on the
Net (firewalled corporate web sites, for example) and the truly epic
effort to make commercialization viable on the Net (we are dealing with
, as they say, "titans of business")  can have on public digital space.
Can we really be sure that this will not alter the Net in a radical
fashion?

3)Are "net practices" enough to counteract the fact that more and more
software design for the Net is aimed at firewalling and at making
electronic commerce viable. This is really different from the 1980s when
most software for the Net was aimed at strengthening its public
features. But again, could it be that practices can resist/counteract
the effect of software design?

4) It seems to me that in this current phase of the history of the Net
--I think of it as the third phase, beginning after 1993, really in
1995)--it beomes extremely important to multiply the diversity of net
subcultures and practices and to intensify their presence and
engagement. I think of net criticism (see Nettime) and of artistic
practices as crucial to secure the public dimension of the Net. But we
also need to get poor organizations, those with few resources, such as
poor women's organizations from aournd the world, those fighting
homelessness, those engaged in struggles against their own government
that don't fall under a big  established NGO, etc. etc., to  move their
struggles onto the Net. This is not just good for them, but good for the
Net. We need a diversity of cultures, of languages, of optics to be
intensively there.

5) here lie the beginnings of new notions of membership/citizenship. A
shift to presence/citizenship. Being present is a form of citizenship
--you do not need to be made a member by some superior entity, such as
the state. The beginning of a new form of trnsnational politics.

6) more to come.