<eyebeam><blast> Welcome

On behalf of Eyebeam Atelier, the X Art Foundation, and our Forum hosts,
I would like to welcome everyone to "Artistic Practice in the Network."

There are many challenges in structuring a multi-regional dialogue such
as this one.  We are aiming not for a simple plurality or an overarching
concert of nations, but for complex local/global articulations.  We hope
to emphasize how dislocating virtualities -- which often seem to compel
us to abandon many of the  complications of embodiment and place -- work
to reposition our relationship to locality and history.   At the same
time, we hope to emphasize how cultural specificity informs the network
and its dislocations.  With this in mind, as we proceed, we encourage
you to weave your local situation into the conversations.

We are delighted that you have joined us and we are very much looking
forward to your participation.

.