- Notation and the Art
Young's most important essay, discussing the interrelation of book production and poetry in
several cultures as it related to poetry in the U.S. in the early 80s.
rendszerek - és az olvasás muvészete Forditotta: Koppány
Márton. (Hungarian translation by Márton Koppány)
traduccion: César Espinosa.
- The Last Pages of Codex Boturini
Essay on one of the surviving pre-Columbian Mexican manuscripts, with facsimile and translations.
[Published in Tezcatlipoca: A Journal of Chicano/a Studies].
- Human and Animal Stages in the
Aztec Continuum of Life, and The Continuum of Life in Codex Borbonicus
Essays on Aztec World View as a living continuum, focusing
on Quetzalcoatl's animal and human aspects, followed by examples and commentary on one of the
pre-Columbian Central Mexican iconographic books.
[Published in Tezcatlipoca magazine.]
- Toward an Ideal Anthology
Reflections on the Light and Dust Web Anthology.
Functions of Translation in "The Ideal Anthology" Sketch of importance of translation on the web in
recognition of changes in language demographics; extensive notes on presenting Lettrisme bilingually;
more compact notes on Reesom Haile, Susan Smith Nash's work with Paraguayan Women Poets, and
translations of Kitasono Katue, edition of Jesse Glass's Ekleksographia edited by Anny Ballardini.
- Two Representative Works of the last
Decade; A Working Present for Jackson Mac Low on His 75th Birthday
Study of Mac Low's Open Secrets CD and Words nd Ends from Ez, in context of his opus.
- Names: The Basis of Graffiti Art
- Graffiti International
[at Marc Weber's Sugar Mule Magazine]
- The Visual Poetry of bpNichol; a Brief Sketch.
Overview, with copious examples.
- At the Corner of Euclid Ave and Blvd Dt Germain: d.a.levy's Parables of Local Necessity and Universal Decentralization
at Big Bridge magazine; originally published in d.a. levy and the mimeo revolution
- The Limns of Philip Whalen's Collected Poems
from Dale Smith's festschrift on Philip Whalen at Big Bridge magazine
- Reesom Haile, Prophet of the Global Village
- Reading the Waves,
An Introduction to Karl Kempton's Rune: A Survey
- The Turning
Pages of Light and Darkness: d.a.levy's Tibetan Stroboscope
- sighting d.a.levy
- Time and the Mail Art Network
Extensive study of mail art at Michael Rothenberg's Big Bridge magazine.
- Three Sets of Robert
Grenier's Illuminated Poems
- Preface to Assembling 12
- Preface to Assembling 13
- A Multi-Voiced Memorial for
Meridel Le Sueur
by Karl Young, Linda Montano, Pauline Oliveros, Joe Napora, and Barbara Mor.
- Thirty Years of "Face": Introduction and
Tribute to a Poem by David Meltzer at Michael Rothenberg's Big Bridge magazine.
- Kenneth Rexroth: Protest,
Rebellion, and Beyond at Mary Sands' Jack Magazine
- Two Approaches to John Taggart's
Slow Song for Mark Rothko and Inside Out: essays by Rochelle Ratner and Karl Young from the
John Taggart issue of Paper Air magazine.
- Multitasking Mail Art Essay on printing mail
- Correspondence Art Solos and Choruses: K.S.
Ernst, Marilyn R. Rosenberg, and David Cole
- Stamp Artists Joel Lipman and Rafael Jesus
- Spoken Texts by Alison Knowles
- Maximus to Gloucester Charles
Olson's Letters to the Glouster Times.
- The Beat Thing by David
- Books by bpNichol and The Four Horsemen
[At Big Bridge.]
- Full Spectrum EditionsBooks by
Producing inexpensive books by Michael McClure and Michael Basinski [at Big Bridge]
- Producing Books by Karl Kempton [At
- Producing Six Fillious: Being bpNichol's
translation of Robert Filliou's 14 Chansons et 1 Charade into English (+ Filliou's original text) + Steve
McCaffery's translation of George Brecht's translation of Robert Filliou's 14 Chansons et 1 Charade
into English into English (+ Brecht's translations into English: 14 Songs and 1 Riddle) + Dick Higgins'
translation of Robert Filliou's 14 Chansons et 1 Charade into German into English (+ Roth's translation
into German: 14 Chansons und 1 Ratsel).
- Myung Mi Kim and Maureen
- Digital Visions by Cynthia Goodman
- HIDE AND SEEK and HOUSE AND HOME
by Rochelle Ratner [at Marc Weber's Sugar Mule, Rochelle Ratner issue; for review alone, scroll
- Yaqui Deer Dance Songs/Maso
Bwikam by Larry Evers & Felipe S. Molina
- Whose History of What World?
American Visual Poetry of the 1920s and Its Successors at Mary Sands' Jack Magazine.
- Introduction to the English
Language Edition of Evald Flisar's "Tales of Wandering."
- People's History - Essays at Freedom Press
This site is in the process of migrating to a new location. URLs seem to shift. There's a
scripting device that yields different results at different times. But at least some essays written
for Freedom, the press and newspaper set up by Peter Kropotkin 114 years ago, seem to remain
available by typing in "Karl Young" in the search field. "Cowboys and Indians - The Dumbing
Down of American Myths" and "Disturbing History: The World Wide Web in Context" can
usually be found there. . .
- The Revenge of Uhura's Mini-Skirt
[at Jean Heriot's Kaspahraster]
- Cat Licked the Garlic by