Re: <eyebeam><blast> Adorno...Beauty's Wounds

In the wonderful discussion of Adorno, I find conspicuous by its absence
the work of Walter Benjamin whose early work (the Trauerspiel etc) at
any rate, was very influencial for Adorno (esp. the area of enquiry
delineated by Giles Peaker's quote from Minima Moralia; "The only
philosophy which can be responsibly practised in the face of despair is
the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves
from the standpoint of redemption...." and the messianic 'small remove'
or shift as everything would appear in a messianic light).

In some respects, it's perhaps more difficult to discuss WB (other than
the, perhaps rightfully so, overdiscussed mechanical reproduction
essay), in that, at least apparently from Adorno's pov, WB's project was
fraught with brokenness and failure and was cathected with a
materialist/mystical dichotomy....not speak of trauma/mourning and the
jewish community--which addresses also cliff's very heartfelt and moving
post)

No time to continue at the moment, more later..
Rob Cheat/m

(who was who said: "There may be hope ...but not for us"?)

                        ----------------------------------
                   "Plus je m'approache de toi
                    En realite
                    Plus la cle chante a la porte de la chambre inconnue

                    Ou tu m'apparais seule
                    Tu es d'abord tout entiere fondue dans le brillant"

                            Andre Breton, 'Always For the First Time'

                   "The closer I come to you
                    The more the key sings at the door of the unknown
room
                    Where you appear alone before me
                    At first you coalesce entirely with the brightness"