Re: <eyebeam><blast> Art and Digital Practices

Felipe Ehrenberg wrote:

>Though I know what "European" means, am not quite sure about the
>meanings of "neo-bourgoise", "ex-Australian" or "post-colonial". We are
>talking, though, aren't we, Simon? At least, I'm listening ... Only
>thing missing is a pint or two of beer (or a cuppa) or why not? a  good
>straight shot of mezcal (very recomendable to work one's way through
>the laberynths of any friendly discussion).

Such a friendly post. Thank you Felipe. I'll pass on the Mezcal though,
as I find it a little strong for my delicate sensibilities. A good wine
would suffice; new or old world, both are good, if very different. In
fact, in discussing the relations between the new and old worlds, the
post-colonial order of things, etc, my feeling is that wine would
represent a better subject, certainly a more stimulating metaphor, than
the subject of human computer interaction or the socio-economics of
communications technologies. Regard for instance the impact of
Australian and South American (particularly Chilean) wine production on
the French wine industry. Aside from the fact that large tracts of
France have been bought up by the large Australian wine producers, it is
also interesting to see so many French wine makers employing Australian
wine makers and their methods, or even sending their young French wine
scholars off to Roseworthy College (60 kms north of my Australian
hometown of Adelaide) to learn the 'science' (as well as the art) of
wine making. Also, look to Cloudy Bay in New Zealand, perhaps the
producers of the best Sauvignon Blanc wine in the world. So good it has
made Sancerre look to its laurels, and reinvigorate itself. So good that
Veuve Cliquot bought 50% of Cloudy Bay, whilst Cloudy Bay bought 50% of
Veuve Cliquot, and the plan is now to release a new premium champagne in
99 that they will market at the top of the French market...but produced
in New Zealand.

This is what I see as "post-colonial", and we see this pattern of events
repeating all around the Pacific Rim in particular, and to some extent
in South Africa. Of course, this is a very different post-colonial
experience to, say, that of Zaire or Ethiopa.

As for "neo-bourgoise", perhaps your preference for Mezcal and mine for
fine wines explains that?

Anyway, I enjoyed the personable nature of your post Felipe. To some
degree it makes me feel good about some aspects of e-Communications.
Cheers to you!

>Easy, Simon. Easy: can't think of anything more disapointing than
>disapointment, which I suppose comes from expecting anything. Why
>expect when one can hope? To expect is to be passive. To hope (even in
>fear) is vital.

Ah, my expectations were not so great, and as I said, I do see the
lists' value to many discourses...simply, these are not the primary
discourses in my own life and experience (although as you can see from
the above, they are not entirely irrelevant to my own situation). If you
follow some of the other threads, you will see me responding with some
interest and vigour to them. Eye-Beam oscillates in its themata, and
sometimes touches on issues of direct relevance to me. Then I
participate. I have not left the list, and actions speak louder than
words (so they "tell" me).

ciao

Simon Biggs
London GB