will be the space in which life as a whole is lived.
Sender: eyebeam-list@list.thing.net

The move to cyberspace parallels the move from old feudal Europe to the
New World of the Americas five centuries ago. That traverse both set the
stage for and was an early indicator of the rise of the new
market-based/ money-based/ industrial/ mass-production economy. Yet
leaders of old feudalism didn't see that. They thought the new space,
the new world, was for them; so they set up dukes and earls and
viscounts to govern it for them, until they all fell.

Likewise the grand panjandrums of the money economy think the new space
today, this space, cyberspace is for them, that it will just be part and
parcel of that now-old system. But the parallel is that cyberspace is
really arising for different reasons; to give birth to a completely new
economy -- an economy that is like feudalism in one way: it has little
to do with money. (Though it is unlike feudalism as can be in most other
respects.)"

Athena Tacha