Re: <eyebeam><blast> Astronomical hindsight

Joel wrote:
>I dreamed that I could delete the pain out of my somatic program,  just

>as one uninstalls a computer program.
>When I woke up, I realized how cybernetic protocols were beginning to
>change my psyche, even before actual organic hardware has been
>installed.
>It was desparation that cornered me and showed me, organically, the
>direction we will be traveling toward the future of ourselves.
-----
Not a future but a present, at least for me...as an artist (or human
being)
who has treated the computer as their primary means of being since the
70's.

I hear so much on this list (surprisingly..or perhaps not) that posits
the
human and the machine as opposites...as if the computer and the human
are
distinct.

I simply do not see it this way! The computer is a natural extension of
that fundamental thing that makes us all human...that thing is called
language. Please remember your Turing!

The computer (and I will not go into detail here) is simply the the
current
form of linguistic development. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not
post-human, but essentially human, if we are to regard language (as
Foucault suggests) as paradigmatic of the human condition.

What more is to be said on this?

Simon Biggs
London GB

simon@babar.demon.co.uk