Re: <eyebeam><blast> Vertical Invasion

Hi Robbin - I'm not sure what you mean by "true hackers" but I suspect
that the phrase is already troublesome. Anyway, as you know, it was
within the past year that Panix was hit and out for close to a very bad
week indeed by a SYN attack launced by erstwhile readers of 2600 as I
discovered (it had the entire code printed) - these things happen... But
I also suspect that when they do, people protected by layer after layer
of code - i.e. webfolk - wouldn't notice - or would only notice a
slowdown and temporary collapse of say DNS resolution (which just
happened here in Japan as I discovered). But without the tools - or
rather with the tools but not so close to the barebones of the Net, what
might be a temporary wound would only seem like a contusion.

I also want to add that "true hackers" have _never_ been "in the scene"
- as far as I know. It's not a scene, or not a scene of that type. While
I love jodi.org, I don't think of them as hacking so much as mystifying
in the manner that, say, a lot of post-fluxus work mystified. Which is
to say embedded in the artworld (look at Art-Language magazine for
another example), as if they were not.

Alan