No Subject

How does class enter into these practices? There are now 101 million on
the Net, according to current estimages, out of around 5.8 billion  on
the planet - that is not a large percentage. I would imagine that a very
small percentage of the 101 million have any sort of reasonably broad
access - say an ISDN line or up, or say 16 megabytes of RAM (PC) and up.
So that if one is taking into account psychogeographic tropes, the
inertness or obdurate quality of place, than absence/lack must be a
primary consideration.

Instead of which, btw, I find artists and other cultural workings
arguing for more bandwidth for their projects.

Finally, shouldn't we take note of the quasi-demise of what I call the
"darknet," the older text-based Net? Usenet is by and large less than
useless unless it's a moderated formal/professional group. MUDs and MOOs
have lost population; gopher's gone for the most part, and archie is
just peculiar. So what sorts of virtualities, subjectivities,
communities, are developing in its stead? Can Webchat do what IRC
does/did?

And so forth - and these are crucial questions, I think, for art
practices - not peripheral - to the extent that audience, community,
sexuality, desire, play a central role in praxis.

Alan

MIRROR with other pages at:   http://www.anu.edu.au/english/internet_txt

IMAGES: http://www.cs.unca.edu/~davidson/pix/